August 3, 2009

Oak Leaf Vineyards Shiraz

Oak Leaf Vineyards Shiraz
This wine is worth triple it's price! (...which would be $9.) My expectations were quite low when I picked up this cheap bottle of wine at Wal-Mart for $2.95. After letting it breathe for about 30 minutes, this turns into an excellent weekday pizza wine. It's day two and the wine is still surprisingly fine (unlike three-buck-chuck, the one-day wonder).

It's a bit tart in the finish, but has nice flavors throughout and the plum stands out. I wouldn't try to pass this off as a more expensive wine - at best, it drinks like a $9 wine, as I mentioned. Heck of a value and great to have on hand when you just need a drink on a Tuesday. Primarily a strong rating for value, this exceeded my expectations and gets a 6/10 rating. I'll be picking up a few bottles next time I visit for those rough weeknights.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Cellar Tracker" article states that Oak Leaf is a Gallo Vineyards Product.

rit said...

really great

Ze Guga said...

I'm drinking it right now and it's pretty good. I have no complaints. Worth the price for me. I'll do it again. And again.

Unknown said...

very good.

Anonymous said...

Came across this by accident. WOW. 2.95, and really decent. Pizza wine, is a perfect description, but I'm having it with Chicken Tenders.