March 15, 2008

A non-dry Sauvignon Blanc? Matua Valley is it.

Matua Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2006
The color of the bottle made this a St. Paddy's Day winner. While walking my dog this afternoon, the realization of being a father set in. I passed at least 10 bars with lines around the corner - lines full of drunken leprechauns and other green oddities. The smell of beer and green barf was in the air indeed. ...and I was walking my dog ;)

So after fighting this mild depression with a few Guini (Guinesses isn't a word) I cooked a wonderful dinner of crab cakes and green beans and enjoyed this wine. If you live in Chicago and haven't discovered Dirk's Fish house on Clybourn, you are missing out - $5 cakes w/ a horseradish-mustard sauce on the side.

I digress: how was the wine? Excellent. Surprisingly not as dry as a typical Sauvignon Blanc and a bit tart - some bite on the sides of your tongue. A sweet finish. The bottle speaks of pear and gooseberry flavors, but I'd be lying if I knew what a gooseberry tasted like. It was a gift someone brought over, so I'm not sure where it can be found, but I saw it online for about $15 (p.s., you bring over wine, I'm going to look it up and judge it, so be careful). 7.5/10.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

No comments: