March 1, 2010

2006 Masciarelli Montepulciano d’Abruzzo


037
Originally uploaded by jeff+caroline
My wife’s vegetable lasagna brought out the best of this “Italian Dry Red Wine” from Abruzzo, Italy. Quite the surprise as I had only paid $7 for it at Costco earlier today. I believe it’s the first Montepulciano wine I’ve had, so read up on the grape, if interested.

Certainly let it open up for an hour or so before drinking as this one will grab you. In fact, I wouldn’t call this a sipping wine…save this for a hearty pasta dish and let it do it’s thang. Very dry and earthy, and somewhat bitter on the finish. Very dark, dark fruits, very full-bodied. Quite enjoyable and would recommend it with any pasta dish. With the low price point, I’ve got to move it to my ‘best cheap wine category’ with a 8.5/10.

No comments: