September 7, 2008

2006 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha

2006 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha
Average to sub-average wine from San Alejandro, Spain. I just haven't found a lot of inexpensive Spanish wine I love, so please send any recos. I grabbed this from Costco for $10 when I saw it had a 91 rating from the Wine Advocate. Further, Wine.com dropped the 2005 vintage at #59 on it's top 100 wines of 2007.

Las Rocas was fairly dry leaving a gummy flavor on the tongue with the finish. Peppery with heavy currant. Definitely have your toothbrush ready for when you are done with this one. I have to disagree with the pros and rank it at 4/10: steak marinade.

1 comment:

Matt mmWine Horbund said...

JEFF JEFF JEFF! NO NO NO!

I have to totally disagree with you here. I've had a review on Las Rocas written up and in draft mode for weeks, and I wish I could link it here for you to see. I will finish it up in a few days, video and all, and let it loose on A Good Time With Wine

This wine is great, especially for the price. It's about $13 and has really awesome bouquet and palate. Perhaps you had a bad bottle. Or perhaps you have some other Spanish Garnacha that blows this one away, which I'd love to try. I did notice you saying that whites go quickly, where as reds linger in your house. Perhaps it's just a preference thing?

I've got a few bottles of this left. I'll have to open one in a few days and give it a whirl. Maybe I'm just missing the bad about this wine, though with about 2 cases consumed, I think I'd have found it by now.