August 31, 2008

2007 Albarino Burgans Rías Baixas

great value Rías Baixas
Why is it a bottle of white wine in this household never lasts past the night it's opened? Red wine lasts for days - rarely do the two of us ever finish a bottle on the night it's opened. Does this happen to you? My only justification is it's cold, lighter, and has more of the addicting sugar in it. Oddly, Crystal Light meets this criteria, but doesn't have quite the same alluring affect.

I digress, back to the crisp, cool, light, and slightly sweet wine. I can't say I've ever heard of the Rias Baixas wine region before (from NW Spain) nor the Albariño white grape, but found it be be closest to a savignon blanc. Great first impression with the matching orange cork (synthetic). The finish was a bit sweet, which made for a perfect summer wine to compliment my BBQ'd Halibut. Citrus & peach flavors, floral on the nose. If you come across this wine in a Tapas restaurant, throw down, it's a good one. I paid $11 @ Sam's Wine (a great value) for this 7/10.

1 comment:

Dan1658 said...

Sounds good. I'll have to look this one up.