December 20, 2008

Peter Lehmann 2005 Barossa Shiraz

Peter Lehmann 2005 Barossa Shiraz
My second Peter Lehmann bottle on A Wine A Week - both good selections, with the red Clancy blend getting a slightly higher rating. This one is also above my expectations for a $13 bottle from Costco, so a 6/10 ranking.

Resolution Media just held it's 3rd annual chili cook-off, so I had the one leftover bowl tonight that I was able to smuggle out. Surprisingly, Pete's Shiraz was able to stand up to it.

The Shiraz has a pungent cigar-tobacco flavor and smell that I immediately noticed. This is followed by and oaky finish with hints of chocolate. More spicy on the first night it was opened, so recommend drinking the full bottle after a 30-60 min decant. That said, it was still delicious the second night. Overall, a very good bottle - although there are better if you know what you are looking for, but you can't go wrong here.

Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah readers!

No comments: