August 30, 2008

2006 Kaboom Zinfandel - Sonoma County

2006 Kaboom Zinfandel
This Sonoma County Zinfandel doesn't live up to it's name - the only explosion was when I pulled the synthetic cork out too quickly. The back label is almost comical as it describes, in all caps, the "BIG WINE with EXPLOSIVE fruit & character". The label goes on to speak of a "meal in a glass" and describes the ERUPTING flavors of black cherry, spiced plum, rich cocoa, and toasty oak.

It's pretty light, actually. Very average, in my opinion, although decent. No eruptions, no explosions, just average wine. It's not bad, by any means and certainly better than "10,000 BC" which I'm trying to watch right now. I'll give it a 5.5/10 and for $15 at Sam's Wine, tell you to go roll the dice elsewhere.

2 comments:

Matt mmWine Horbund said...

Thanks for your review! I am actually drinking a glass of this right now. It was on the tasting bar at the local TOTAL WINE, and I picked it up after a small sip. I was a bit more impressed with it in the store than I am now.

This wine rolled in at $16 and quite frankly, for the price, I'd give it an "eh" rating. It's a wine that you CAN drink, with some decent fruit on the nose, but a bit too much sour cherry on the palate. The spice is thin and the finish is almost non-existant.

For the price, I'd go for the Sobon Estates Old Vines Zinfandel. I have three bottles sitting here, and I'll have to review one on my site this week for a fair comparison. However, I recall loving it when I had it last week!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
-Matt
lets have a A Good Time With Wine

730chicagogirl said...

Wow....I loved this wine. Bought a case and had no problem drinking it! Just goes to show ya.