March 8, 2009

2004 Fattorie Parri Chianti Montespertoli

Sam's Wine recently released their Top 100 Wines of 2008, so like a kid in a candy store, I visited and stocked my cart. I was pleased to see several of my top rated inexpensive wines in this year's selection, including the Mulderbosch, the $8 Penfold's Koonuga Hill, and the high ranking Relativity Cabernet. I walked away with a case of highly rated wine and paid less than $140 for it. Over the next months, I'll see if they are truely top notch or if Sam's is just trying to unload some inventory from the back room ;)

2004 Fattorie Parri Chianti Montespertoli
The first bottle from the shopping spree was tapped last night at an Italian BYOB restaurant in Chicago near our place called Terragusto. WAAAY overpriced ($55/pp. for food only!) for the 3-course meal we received. It was tasty, just way overpriced. The 2004 Fattorie Parri Chianti didn't help the meal, but at least we saved some coin on the meal with a $13 bottle. While Sam's may have rated this in their top 20 for '08, i'm giving it a 4/10. This was the sweetest chianti I've ever had. Blueberries were the overwhelming flavor. Very unique, but I'd have prefered a traditional dryer chianti going into this traditional Italian meal.

No comments: