April 8, 2009

Cardwell Hill Cellars 2006 Pinot - Guest Post

Nate Janitz, a friend, co-worker, and fellow wine blogger provides us with a guest post this week:

Cardwell Hill PinotThis Cardwell Hill Cellars Pinot Noir ($36 at Sam’s Wine Superstore – was on sale for $20) is a classic and very earthy Washington Pinot. The wine had a nice light red color and was completely clear. The nose was really earthy. It starts off with a pleasant bite and tails off with a great berry flavor. Wine Spectator gives it 91 points and I tend to agree. This is a great wine and will be even better in a few years. Cellar it for at least 3 to 5 years. Since this is a US Pinot, drink it in before 2018. I give this bottle a 6/10.

Why I Think I Can Review Wine:
What I love the most about wine is that you don’t have to know a thing or spend a lot of money to enjoy wine. It doesn’t matter if you’re in college, a NASA scientist, a restaurateur, a construction worker, or a digital marketing guru; you can enjoy the exploration of wine at whatever experience and/or price level you choose. My dad is a long time collector of inexpensive wine, and has been kind enough to teach me as he learned. My first experience with wine was running down stairs at like 8 helping him pick out a bottle for dinner. By the time I was old enough to take my first sip, I was able to hold a decent conversation with most wine experts. Like Jeff, my dad never bothered with expensive wines because, even in the 70’s, he knew you didn’t need to spend a fortune to find a great bottle of wine. In fact, it wasn’t until 5 years ago he before he bought his first bottle over $30. With the help our musky basement in Indy, my dad also taught me the art of aging wine. Today, some of my favor it wine was made before I was even born.
Nate Janitz
Well that’s how I started, but over the years I have actually tasted my own fare share of wine ranging from Beringer to the whole line of First Growths. While I do try to build my own collection of wine, I primarily focus on inexpensive wines to drink today. Earlier this year, I started Nate’s Wine Reviews because I wanted a place where I could archive my life as it revolves around wine…and maybe help someone find a great bottle of wine in the process. My main hunting grounds are the boutique wine shops in Chicago (cellar rat, Lush), as well as Jewel, CostCo, and Sam’s Wine Superstore. I review two types of wines on my blog: inexpensive wine I find and the old inexpensive wine my dad found in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Like Jeff, I’m on the hunt for great inexpensive wines to drink today. However, continuing with a tradition my dad started, I also look for those great bottles that improve with age (like the bottle I’m reviewing for A Wine A Week).

No comments: